See What’s Out ThereNow’s the time to pound the pavement and see what’s available. This step can be either incredibly fun or incredibly exhausting. But with a REALTOR® by your side, you’ll be able to land on your dream home much more effectively.
1. Visit REALTOR.ca.REALTORS® have access to incredible house-hunting tools called MLS® Systems, which are operated by real estate boards and associations across Canada. You can view publicly-available information about MLS® listings on REALTOR.ca. Browse listings that meet your criteria, view photos and virtual tours, share listings with family and friends, explore neighbourhood details and statistics and more. Your REALTOR® can start sending you listings that match your specific criteria right away. Meet a REALTOR® today.
2. Visit open houses.Open houses are a great way to see inside the homes that interest you. If a REALTOR® is hosting the open house, he or she probably knows the local market inside and out, and will be happy to answer your questions – don’t be afraid to ask!
3. Check out real estate ads in local papers.Your REALTOR® can introduce you to neighbourhoods you’re already – or should be – considering based on your wants and needs. Make note of surrounding schools, shopping and recreational areas. Keep an eye out for not-so-great features like large industrial areas, railway tracks and airports. Visit during the day and at night.
Tip: Walking through a potential home is a thrill but try not to lose your head. Don’t let a giant kitchen island or swanky hot tub distract you from your real goal: finding a home that meets all your needs and fits your budget. Arm yourself with this house hunting checklist and bring it with you to homes you’re serious about buying. Good luck and happy hunting!
Meet with usWe can review your wants and needs to help you determine your price range, as well as answer questions about the markets you’re interested in and help you compare homes and neighbourhoods. Your REALTOR® can also provide access to exclusive listing information, preview properties to ensure you’re only shown homes that meet your needs and budget and make appointments and walk you through homes that interest you.
Tip: We will become an expert on your specific needs and wants. Scattering your time and energy amongst multiple REALTORS® will work against your goal of finding your dream home. Most REALTORS® have equal access to the same property listings so there’s no real advantage to having multiple REALTORS®.
PRO TIP: When you find the home you are searching for, make sure to check the homes that are 1 price-point up, and 1 price-point down to guage pricing Also see this document to assist in your search. It helps you identify the property score and sets the expectations for showings
When viewing properties you are interested in, it is important to remain objective. I will help you understand the importance of looking beyond surface aesthetics at:
- A home's exterior features from the foundation to the walls, the roof, the eaves and downspouts, drainage, windows, doors, fencing and landscaping.
- A home's interior fittings such as walls, floors, outlets and switches, lighting, kitchen and bathroom fixtures, and appliances.
- A home's heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical systems.
- Visible signs of problems such as water or pest damage.
- The benefits of having all of the above investigated thoroughly by a qualified home inspector.
- Noise levels from neighbouring properties, the street, cars and public transport, and where applicable, highways, railways and airports.
- The ability for you to live comfortably, according to your pre-determined needs and wants, with available space for your furnishings and storage requirements.